Maryland Hillel Family Shabbaton:
November 4-6, 2022
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS – Parents-Weekend-Schedule-2022
Family Shabbaton Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- We are driving to campus, where can I park?
- If you are staying at one of the hotels, there is parking available in their garages. If not, you can park in Lot 1 after 4:00pm (it is free). Here’s the campus map to help you locate Lot 1.
- Q: What time can I check into the hotel? Can I leave my bags at the hotel if I arrive before check in?
- While check-in for the hotels is later than we’d like, they are going to try and have rooms ready ASAP. You can leave your suitcases at the desk and retrieve them once you can check-in. Also, the staff at both the Marriott and The Hotel can assist with any elevator or room door requests throughout the weekend. Reserve your hotel room now!
- Will there be security over the weekend?
- Yes. We’re working with partners and the University of Maryland Police Department to implementing both year-round and weekend plans ensuring the safety of our students and community. A dedicated police officer for a Hillel function costs the organization $75/hour. We invite you to make a voluntary security contribution to help fund a security presence at Parents’ Weekend.
- Is there an Eruv on campus?
- Yup! We’re proud to support the Eruv and are thankful to our student volunteers who check it every week. View Eruv parameters.
- Do I need to wear my name tag?
- Yes! Each name tag serves as a pass to the weekend. We also ask that you wear your name tag at all times for security purposes.
- What time does Shabbat start?
- Shabbat starts at 5:46pm.
- Where can I light candles?
- Due to fire code challenges, the hotels have requested that we refrain from lighting Shabbat candles in the hotels. While you are welcome to light candles at Hillel we understand that it may be difficult to get there before Shabbat. You can speak to the hotel’s front desk and request a hotel shuttle pick-up and drop-off to and from the Rosenbloom Hillel Center. The most preferable option according to many Halakhic authorities is to turn off a light in your room, and then turn it on with the intention of fulfilling the mitzvah of Shabbat candles. No blessing is recited, and the mitzvah is fulfilled through this action.
- Where can I pray Mincha?
- Mincha will be at Maryland Hillel. Times of Mincha can be found on our schedule of events.
- Where and when are the Friday night services?
- We have two services on Friday night (orthodox and conservative) and they will take place at the Rosenbloom Hillel Center. See the schedule for exact room location and times. There will be walking groups leaving from the hotels’ lobbies at approximately 5:45pm.
- What should I be doing after Friday night services?
- You should be joining us for the communal dinner taking place in the Stamp Student Union!
- Is there assigned seating at Friday night dinner?
- We do not pre-assign seats for dinner. Weekend Sponsors can reserve a table in advance. Do you want to be a Table Sponsor? Click here.
- I am eating at my child’s apartment so do I need to still fill out the registration form?
- YES! It ensures you receive a welcome bag → click here now!
- My child is on the meal plan do I need to buy a meal ticket for them?
- Friday night dinner is always free for all students, so no meal purchase is needed for Friday night. All full platinum meal planners do not need to purchase any Shabbat meals (Saturday lunch or Seudah Shlishit). Please be sure to account for your student in the total number of people attending meals. Students on a smaller plan or no meal plan do need to purchase meal tickets just as they do during the year. The Saturday night food & Sunday brunch require meal tickets for all parents and students. View meal tickets here.
- Can I use my student’s meal guest passes?
- Meal guest passes can only be used for Saturday Lunch and Seudat Shlisheet. Please check with Liz Donaldson to see how many guest passes your student has left.
- Is there anything happening Friday night besides dinner?
- Sure is! After services, we will be having a parent wine reception for you to enjoy; the A Capella groups will entertain you with a teaser during dinner; and we will have dessert bar/Oneg post-dinner.
- Are events happening during the day on Saturday?
- Of course! You’ll receive an up-to-date schedule in your welcome bags, but we’ll have board games and snacks at Hillel, teaching with our JLIC Rabbi and Scholar in Residence, campus tours, and learning opportunities.
- Who is the Scholar-in-Residence?
- Rabbanit Nechama Goldman-Barash will be joining us for the weekend.
- Where can I purchase tickets to the Arts Showcase Concert on Saturday night, November 5?
- A: Arts Showcase tickets can purchased through this STAMP event website (will be posted soon!) or bought through the STAMP ticketing office during their ticketing hours.
- Where can I purchase sushi and pizza tickets? Can I buy at the door?
- All orders must be pre-ordered on our registration link and the orders will be indicated on your name tag. We cannot guarantee there will be any left. We recommend pre-ordering ASAP to ensure you have food.
- Is there anything happening on Sunday?
- We will be closing the amazing weekend with a brunch at the Rosenbloom Hillel Center at 9:30am. Make sure you sign up here!
Have any more questions? Please reach out.