Maryland Hillel serves one of the largest and most dynamic Jewish campus communities in the country. Hillel sponsors a diverse and exciting array of activities throughout the school year, including social, cultural, religious and educational programs.
Whether it’s a student BBQ with a reggae band, a free Shabbat dinner for 1000+ students, a Jewish a cappella group performing at the white house, or a dinner discussion on Jewish ethics, Hillel has it all! Staff and resources are available to all UMD students, faculty, staff and community members regardless of affiliation or commitment.
Maryland Hillel’s Mission
Maryland Hillel’s mission is to enhance the lives of Jewish students on campus in order to enable them to enrich the Jewish people and the world around them. Maryland Hillel actively seeks to engage Jewish students on their own terms: to provide them with Jewish opportunities that are meaningful and appealing to them. Students are empowered to take responsibility for their Jewish identity through community service, social events, and both formal and informal Jewish learning. We take pride in welcoming all students, regardless of Jewish background. Maryland Hillel is committed to a pluralistic vision of Judaism that embraces every Jewish student at the University of Maryland.
Did you know that there are . . .
- 6,500 Jewish students on campus
- 5,000 Jewish undergraduates
- 2,000 Jewish students living in residence halls
- 1,500 Jewish students involved in Greek Life
- 1,800 Jewish students who attend campus High Holiday services
- 400-500 Jewish students attend Hillel Friday night services
- 200 Jewish students attend Hillel Friday night Shabbat dinners
- 25+ Jewish student groups affiliated with Maryland Hillel
- 37 courses offered by the Jewish Studies Department
- 10 Hebrew language courses